In Year Admissions

Application for in-year admission

We currently have limited vacancies in some of our year groups.

We encourage all parents to visit the school to see the excellent facilities and meet the Headteacher.

If you wish to apply for an in-year transfer please complete the online form by clicking on the link below.

In Year Admissions Form

On receipt of your application we will be in touch to arrange an 'admissions meeting' and give you and your child a tour of the school and clarify any questions you may have.

As part of our duty of care we will then be in touch with your child's previous school to ensure that we can meet their needs.

If your application is succesful you will be given a start date (usually after a half term or term).

Your child will then be supported in their transition into their new school.

Please refer to our Admissions Policy for full details of all admissions, admissions criteria and special circumstances online-admissions.

Moving Schools - Advice for parents

It is important that you consider whether a transfer is really the best option for your child. Having a conversation with your child and with staff at your child’s current school may avoid the need to transfer to another school.

Why do you want your child to change schools?

If your request is for any of the reasons listed below, it is advised that the following steps should be taken before you complete an in-year application to transfer to Selston High School

Child not attending school

Discuss with your child, and the staff at the school, the reason why they don't want to attend school.

Explain to staff at the school if your child is worried about anything in particular and discuss how the situation can be resolved.

‚ÄčTo avoid exclusion

Discuss with staff at the school any reasons why your child's behaviour is non-compliant with the school's behaviour policy.

Discuss with the school your child's 'Pastoral Support Plan'. If a plan is not in place, ask the school if it is possible to set one up.

If your child has a plan in place, ask if it has been reviewed recently.

Special Educational Needs

Discuss the situation with the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO) at the school. Contact the Special Educational Needs/Education Health and Care (EHC) Plan team at the county council.

You may wish to seek impartial advice from the Information, Advice and Support Service (IASS).

Bullying or friendship issues

All schools have an anti-bullying policy. Talk to staff at the school about how the issue can be addressed and resolved.

You have a complaint about the school or unresolved issues

Discuss your complaint with staff at the school to include your child's teacher, head of year, headteacher/principal. If you feel your complaint has not been dealt with satisfactorily, ask the school for their complaints procedure.

Put your complaint in writing to the Chair of Governors at the school.

Important considerations before deciding to move your child to an alternative school

Teaching and school organisation

Each school teaches the National Curriculum in different ways and at different times of the year.

Have you thought about how will your child cope with learning new rules and doing things in different ways?

From year 9 onwards, children will have chosen their exam options (for GCSE) at their current school and you may find that:

Your child is unable to continue to study the same subjects as the option groups are already full in the new school.
The exam boards and course work for their chosen subjects are different, so your child may have to start course work again.
Some schools start GCSE coursework in year 9 and some schools start coursework in year 10 and there is the potential that your child will miss out on crucial parts of the coursework.


Your child’s emotional well-being may be affected.
How does your child feel about leaving their current school and starting a fresh at a new school?
How will your child cope being the new child in a class where friendship groups have already been formed?
Does your child find it difficult to make new friends?


Have you thought about the cost involved in the purchase of new uniform including full PE kit?

School travel

A change of school will usually be regarded as parental choice and as such you would be unlikely to be eligible for help with travel to the preferred school. Check if you would be able to get school travel assistance.
How would your child travel to a new school?
What would be the cost involved?