At Selston High School we truly believe that every student should be equally valued and should be given the opportunity to realise their full potential, regardless of ability.
We are very proud of our provision for learning support as this enables us to ensure that every student is supported to reach their potential. The Learning Support department responds to any special educational needs that students have and indeed recognises that most students may have special needs at some stage of their education.
Students with learning needs receive support to help them access all lessons and this can take various forms, including:
- Specific transition packages to support the move from Primary School
- Work which is adapted to your child's ability
- Withdrawal from some lessons to follow personalised programmes for literacy & numeracy
- An adapted curriculum in Key Stage 3 to support-learners who are below the national expectations in English and Mathematics
- Small group work with teaching assistants both in class and in the learning support unit
- Support form external agencies
- Careers advice
- Taster days and visits to colleges and other providers to support transition to post-16
- Lunch time and break time support
Students with special educational needs are integrated as fully as possible into the educational and social life of the school and have their needs met in the least restrictive environment.
The Learning Support department is housed in a discrete block which offers a base for students at breaks and lunchtimes, teaching rooms, computers, a kitchen for life skills and a sensory room.
Our SEND Local Offer
Our SEND Policy 18/19